Hello! Here are my updates for the months of March and April!
1. I’ve started logging everything I eat. I’d tried it before too, but never managed to keep it up for more than 2-3 days. This time around, I’ve persisted with it. In the beginning, it was quite shocking to see how calorie laden even healthy foods are, but now I’m slowly getting the hang of it. I don’t try to be too precise – I don’t want it to ever become an obsession. In fact I don’t even log my meals on Saturdays and Sundays 😀 It is very useful as a rough guide to plan my meals, and also to see where those hidden calories are coming from. (I use myfitnesspal, fyi).
2. I don’t drink anymore. I think the last drink I had was probably in October last year, and I haven’t missed it even a little bit. I don’t think I ever particularly relished alcohol. So, in the spirit (haha) of letting go of what doesn’t serve me, I decided to stop drinking altogether. In situations where others around me are drinking, I stick to fresh lime water or soda with just salt and no sugar. Does it sound like a sad life? Trust me, it’s not. I’m just choosing to overshoot my calorie allowance with things I genuinely enjoy. I’d rather eat a big ice cream sundae with fruits and nuts than drink a bunch of cocktails, go to sleep feeling light-headed and wake up dehydrated with a nasty headache.
3. We’ve switched to eating fully organic. We were already buying only organic dry provisions (stuff like dals, etc), but now it’s vegetables and fruits as well. Is eating organic pricier? Yes, it is. But an overall healthier lifestyle saves us money too. For example, what we would have spent on 1-2 evenings out drinking and eating crap more than covers the difference.
4. I’m experimenting with making some products on my own at home. I made a hair oil, a facial cleansing oil and even a toothpaste. But I’m quite the junkie who loves trying new products in the market, so I don’t know if I can keep this up 🙂
So that’s about it for March and April. I’ve continued to do every single thing from my January and February updates. I’m so happy to be continuously adding to my list of healthy habits this year, and grateful to have the privilege to do so!
Hello! My resolution for 2018 is to get fitter, both physically and mentally, and I’m posting monthly updates here. It’s time for my February updates. Here’s what I’ve added to my list of practices that I started in January:
1. The BEST thing first : I resumed music classes after MANY MANY YEARS! As I mentioned in this post long ago, I used to learn Carnatic singing as a child. Something about 2018 motivated me to get back in touch with my guru and start singing again! I used to learn in person from him back then, but now he teaches me on skype haha! I’m so glad I took the plunge, it’s been great for me – even a short practice session magically uplifts my mood.
2. I’m drinking herbal tea regularly. The funny thing is, I didn’t start doing this for the health benefits, but to work through my gigantic stash of teas! (People, stop buying me tea! Seriously!) I’m doing something interesting I learned from someone’s instagram – adding a tiny pinch of salt and pepper to the tea, instead of something sweet. I know it sounds weird, but it tastes very nice, you should try it.
3. I’ve started getting my hands dirty again after a long hiatus from gardening. It really calms me like nothing else. Different things work for different people, but if you frequently feel stressed or anxious, it is definitely worth giving gardening a try.
That’s it for February! Being able to move forward on one’s resolutions is a privilege, and I’m very grateful for it.
Happy New Year, you guys! I know, it’s February, but it’s my first post of the year and I couldn’t start it without wishing you! I’m probably being very presumptuous when I say ‘you guys’, because I really doubt if anyone is even looking at this! Do people read blogs anymore? I totally do, but I don’t know anyone else who does.
My last post was about breakfast bowls, after quite a while of blogging about travel! I guess it was a return to what I originally meant my blog to be – a little bit of everything – hence the name all mix fruit juice! And that’s how it’s going to be hereafter. (Something about the knowledge that very few people are reading your blog makes it easier to stop curating too much!)
2017 was very chaotic – a mixed bag of fun and stress. I am very grateful, though, because God has been extremely kind to us. My resolution for 2018 is to get fitter, both physically and mentally, and to lead a gentler lifestyle. I’m thinking I’ll do monthly updates here about how all of this is going.
So here are the things I started doing regularly in January:
1. Exercising regularly, 4 to 5 times a week.
2. Avoiding dairy most of the time, and eating clean overall.
3. Writing meditation – (it is the practice of repetitive writing, while sitting in silence. Look up likhita japa if you’re curious about this)
4. Wearing sunscreen every single day, whether I’m indoors or outdoors.
5. Going to bed earlier. (this is a direct result of exercise – the days I don’t exercise, I can’t fall asleep as easily)
I’m being pretty disciplined, and I’m happy about it 🙂